Monday, March 4, 2013

Spicy Black Bean "Burgers" with Chipotle-Mayo

It's the first Meatless Monday in our house, since its inception, that my husband has been home to partake with us. A self-proclaimed "carnivore", Dear Husband was leery and less than excited for dinner. As such, I knew I had to find a recipe that would knock his socks off. I searched my vast resources until I found this recipe that would at least give the illusion of a burger and fries dinner. :). You can find the original recipe HERE.




Ingredients:

For the Spicy Chipotle Mayo:
3 1/2 tbsp light mayonnaise (I used Miracle Whip Light)
1 TBSP canned chipotle in adobo sauce

For the Black Bean Burgers:

16 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 red bell pepper, cut into 2 inch pieces
1/2 cup chopped scallions (I used green onions)
3 TBSP chopped cilantro
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 jumbo egg
1 TBSP cumin
1/4 to 1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp hot sauce
1/2 cup quick oats
4 whole wheat buns
1 small avocado, sliced thin

Combine chipotle and mayonnaise and let chill in refrigerator to let flavors marry.


Dry the beans well after washing (extra moisture keeps the burgers from sticking). In a medium bowl, mash beans with a fork until thick and pasty.


In a food processor, finely chop bell pepper, cilantro, onion, and garlic, then add oats, then egg and spices. Then stir into mashed beans.
Divide mixture into four patties (using slightly oiled hands helps) and place them onto a flat surface covered with wax paper. (If it's too wet, chill the mixture 30 minutes in the refrigerator or add another tablespoon of oats)




Freeze at least 2 hours before cooking or keep frozen until ready to cook.
Heat a lightly sprayed skillet to medium heat and cook frozen burgers about 7 minutes on each side.







I added the chipotle mayo and avocado slices to the burger, then served it with sweet potato fries. Dinner was a HIT and Dear Husband even suggested added it into our "regular rotation". Because Dear Husband was such a good sport, I even got him non-dairy vegan chocolate ice cream for dessert. ;)

2 comments:

  1. These look super yummy Erin, I think I will have to make this one day for my family. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anime Girl ;) - they tasted a lot like a really good bean dip...with the bread...and the mayo.... Oh nom nom. Just don't forget the appetizer! (Beano!) lol

      Delete